Well, it’s that time of year again where we can celebrate giving thanks to those that have done so much for us. We don’t often realize it, but our lives our shaped so much by the people around us and it’s great that we have a holiday where we can give something back. Thanksgiving dinner is the norm when it comes to celebrating the holiday, but there are so many other things to do if you’re not a world-class chef. If you’re in Orange County, then you’re in luck because you’ll definitely find something to do within at least an hour drive. So, put away your roasting trays and aprons and get the car warm, because here are some family-friendly Thanksgiving Events in Orange County.
1. Eat Out – Many restaurants all around Orange County offer special Thanksgiving Day menu options. Of course, these menus are all Thanksgiving Day themed so you can have the warmth of a roasted turkey and stuffing in your stomach without having to spend all day cooking. None of these restaurants will disappoint!
2. Go for a Run – For all of you athletes out there in Orange County, go ahead and check out the Turkey Trot Run in Dana Point on Thanksgiving Day. The race features three different races: the 10k race, the 5k race, and a kid’s race. You could race by yourself or you can even race as a team. Good luck and have fun!
3. Run for a Cause – If you’re closer to Irvine and like the idea of getting some “light” exercise on Thanksgiving, then go ahead and check out the Plymouth Rock ‘n’ Run. This race features a 10k race, a 5k race, and a 1k race and all proceeds go to the Reeve-Irvine Research Center. This specific research facility is the largest spinal cord injury facility in the nation and it’s rapidly growing. If you’d like to support the cause but aren’t interesting in racing, you can also donate some money to help support the cause.
4. See the Lights – This one may not necessarily be Thanksgiving themed, but it can certainly get you in the holiday spirit and it starts Thanksgiving night so it technically still counts. If you haven’t completely conked out from eating too much Thanksgiving food, then go ahead and check out the Orange County Christmas Lights. The event starts on Thanksgiving Day and continues daily until New Year’s Eve from 5:00pm to 9:00pm. This event is happening in Laguna Hills on Nellie Gail Road and is free to attend. So bring your family and the rest of that turkey that you couldn’t eat and come walk around the neighborhood and see some of the best home decorations you’ll ever see!
5. Give a Meal – If you really want to get into the holiday spirit, then what better way to do it than by helping out those in need? We Give Thanks is a non-profit organization that gives Thanksgiving dinner to families that are in need. Starting on November 24th, come join this amazing group as people as you watch families in need light up at the sight of a warm Thanksgiving meal. Located in Anaheim at the Honda Center, come help this organization bring joy to those in need.
2016 has been a long year for us all and it’s slowly coming to an end. During this time, it’s important to spend time with our families, especially when we finally get the chance to do so. While we may be excited to finally see Christmas lights or start doing our Christmas, let’s not forget the importance of giving thanks to those that have been such an important part of our lives. With that being said, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!